Re: Trunk Problem

To: Richard James <richard@u.arizona.edu>
Subject: Re: Trunk Problem
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:19:09 -1000

> Hello,
>   I'm in a bit of a bind.  My key no longer works the latch on my trunk.
><snip>

> Basically it's not going to work.  Does anyone know how I
> can get the trunk open without destroying my car?  Help please.

Before I had the wisdom of the list available, when confronted with that
problem, I cut a neat (approx. 4"x 6" hole) in the license plate recess
to gain access to the latch assy.  After getting the trunk open, I made
a cover plate for my access hole, attached with sheet metal screws and
hidden by the license plate.  I've had several occasions to use that
access since, from time to time, the key-moved lever, somehow gets past
the release arm.  Worked for me, but If I had it to do over again, think
I would use the cable rigged to the latch (but, then again, you have to
anticipate that the latch won't work!)

Aloha,

Dave
'68 1600