FAQ: Rear Wheel Bearing R&R

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: FAQ: Rear Wheel Bearing R&R
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 99 13:08:54 CDT
Rear Wheel Bearing R & R for the Datsun Roadster
by Thomas Walter c 1996 rev 1.0  7/20/96

Following applies to the 1600 & 2000's.  1500's used a
large nut to retain the axle, and not sure on the part
numbers for those vehicles.

PARTS:
  inner oil seal        38212-04101
  outer oil seal        43234-18401
  [combined seal and retainer]
  rear wheel bearing    43215-08000
  bearing collar        43084-10600

SPECIAL TOOLS: Slide hammer (Not always required!)
                           7/16" flare nut wrench

SAFETY NOTE:  use jackstands to solidly support the vehicle
before attempting any work around, or under the vehicle.
Safety goggles must be worn when you follow the procedure
about removing the retaining collars.

Decided to look at the rear wheel bearings. A pain to get
them out, but they should repacked with fresh grease every
24,000 miles. It is rare to find anyone who has actually
done that.

If the rear of the brake backing plates look clean, and free
of caked on gear oil and dirt it should be a simple job to
pull the axles and repack the wheel bearings.

In my case, one side was heavily caked in old grease and dirt.
Steam cleaning away as much as you can before you start will
make things go quicker.

You'll need an axle puller. Most autoparts stores have the
cheap ones for around $50, or you can rent them for $5 a day.
[Quite a few roadster owners have managed to pull them by hand,
 but I have not been so lucky.]

The drums came off easily, as I had smeared a light coat of
anti-seize on the axle flanges, last time I checked the brakes,
to keep the aluminum drums from bonding to the steel axle flange.

Disconnect the emergency brake clevis pins, and springs.

After bleeding the brake lines dry, unscrew the brake
lines to the wheel cylinders.  Once the lines are free of the
wheel cylinders, wrap the brake lines with plasic, or cover
them with a plastic bag retain with soft wire or rubberband.
If you saved those old plugs for the wheel cylinders, it will
help to cap them too.

Remove the brake shoes to keep them clean and dry.

Removed the four nuts on the back plate. SAE threaded, and
1/2" size across the flats. They have built in nylon lock
washers... pain to remove with finger. The can be replaced
with 5/16" SAE fine thread grade 8 lock nuts.

Once the four nuts are removed, attach the slide hammer and
slam away. Usually after a few taps the axles come out. It
was obvious gear oil seeping past the inner seal had washed
out the bearing grease over the years.  If caught in time,
and the bearings still feel smooth, they can be repacked with
grease while still on the axle. Good insurance to replace that
inner seal.

Make of note about the NUMBER and thickness of the shims
installed between the backing plate and axle. The shims are
used to adjust the amount of preload on the bearing, and should
be reinstalled.

As you check the bearings, they should rotate smoothly with
no noticeable drag, or "bumps" during rotating. With the axle
standing on the ground, press your weight against the bearing
and feel it again. Once again, should be smooth and free of
any "bumps".

One bearing felt fine. I used "Brake Cleaner" to remove the
traces of old grease to clean the bearing (keep in mind you
do NOT want to get solvent on the brake shoes. Once the bearing
was clean, and air dried (NEVER use compressed air to spin a dry
bearing), I repacked it with wheel bearing grease.

On the other axle, which had the backing plate caked with dirt,
the bearing had a few 'bumps' in it, which warrantied replacement:

IF YOU NEED NEW wheel bearings:

You'll need:  new outer seal (combined seal and retaing
              new wheel bearing
              new retaining collar.

The pressed on collars are a one time use item, problem I have seen
on the Datsun Roadster's is the axle is only good for maybe three
"press jobs". I've taken to CUTTING off the old collars...

Using a dremel tool with a thin cutting disc at maximum rpm I'll
slice about 2/3rds the way through the collar.  Then with the
axle supported on the backside of the collar... I'll use my
handy cold chisel and 4# sledge hammer. Takes quite a few blows into
the cut I started with the dremel tool, but the collar splits open
and drops off. [USE SAFETY GOGGLES!]

No spec in the Datsun manual, but the my Mazda manual specified
that the new collars should be pressed on with a mininum of three
tons of force (I know most do not have a pressure gauge, but if
is feels like it went on too easily... there might be a reason why)

The wheel bearing was knocked clear by holding the backing plate,
while taping the end of the axle against a block of wood on the floor.

Label the bearing as it comes off, as to which side it came
off of. [Emergency brake lever point towards the rear of the
car.]

Measure the OLD bearing, and the NEW bearing. They should be
identical. If not Any difference in thickness should be adjusted
by the shims to insure a proper preload.

Quite often the grease that was original packed into the bearing
will be dry and stiff. Use CLEAN solvent to wash it out, and
repack with your favorite wheel bearing grease. It is important
not to mix different base types, so I always use lithium based
grease around the garage.

Drop off the axles with the new outter seals, bearings, and collars
and backing plate at your friendly machine shop. There is a
small spacer between the bearing and the end of the axle. This
spacer must be used, as the inside edge is radiused to match the
axle flange. Most shops just press the new bearings on, in which
case the retaining collar should require at least 3 tons of force
to press on. If the collar goes on with little resistance, the
axle MUST be replaced.

Sigh... Safety first. A fellow roadster owner was killed when his
car flipped on him after loosing the axle on a turn. New wheel
bearings had been installed a few weeks before, and I believe he
decided to save a few bucks and reuse the old collars.

REINSTALLATION:

Not uncommon for the machine shop to have forgotten about the
backing plates for the brakes.  Also need to check for R & L
sides.

Shims - assuming preload was correct originally, and you kept
track of the number of shims used, it is a simple matter to
compare the thickness of the old bearing vs. the new bearing.
If the bearings are the same thickness, then use the same
number of shims. If the NEW one is thinner than the old bearing,
you'll need to reduce the number of shims.  Like wise, if the
new bearing is thicker, you'll need to add more shims.
[Shims typically are 0.003" thick, but the replacement items
I had were either 0.003", 0.004", or 0.009" thick!]

It is easier to slide a couple of bolts into place to hold the
shims up while reinstalling the axle. Usually the axle will slide
in, but a light tap on the axle flange may be required (I use a piece
of 2x4 to prevent damaging the wheel studs.).

Reattach the emergency brake clips, springs. Refit the brake
lines, and BLEED the brakes before putting the wheels back on.
Always use the same type of fluid that is in the system.

While the car is still firmly supported by axle stands:
Check the differential level.
Check the driveshaft flange bolts (they do loosen with time,
one reason I like using locktite on them. Wise to check BOTH
ends on 5 speeds)

Enjoy that sunny afternoon drive!