Re: Help!!

To: Randy Christman <rcchristman@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Help!!
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:46:51 -0700
Randy Christman wrote:
each time after about 3 miles it acts like it
> is running out of fuel. It actually dies. any other suggestions before this
>bores me to death and i
> end up selling it???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy
>  68' 2000

Yep,
        Check that the back carburetor has the 'thermo valve' on it, between
the back carb and the fuel return line.  It's a big, cast aluminum
assembly that restricts fuel return to the tank.  If your rear carb
looks just like the front one, you're missing the restrictor.  Lots of
'68's seem to be...  They were pretty fragile, and as the return line
hardened, it put more stress on the aluminum casting.  Originally, it
only opened when the fuel temp rose, to prevent vapor lock in the
hotter, emission-controlled cars.
        If it's not there, fuel won't be pressurized to the carbs (which like a
few psi) and you'll lean out.  I had particular problems going up
hills...
        I went thru the same process, and the fix turned out to be a homemade
'restrictor'- a piece of 1/4" rod with a 1/32" hole drilled thhrough
it.  I just stuck it in the rubber hose just before the steel return
line.  Eventually, I'll add an adjustable regulator, but 'till then, the
restrictor works well enough.
Hope this helps,
Toby