Re: brake springs

To: "Dan and Louise Yates" <yates@sk.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: brake springs
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:31:42 PST8PDT
It was asked:
> The manual shows the retaining springs for the rear brakes mounted in front
> of the shoes yet they were mounted behind the shoes when I removed them.

My personal comments, but if your brakes fail don't blame me :-)

All the manuals I've looked at show them on the front. BUT, if they're
mounted on the rear (and they do appear to clear all the hardware),
the tension tends to 'pull' the shoes onto the backing plate and keep
them in place. With them on the front, they tend to pull the shoes off
of the backing plate. So it appears to me that 'behind the shoes'
provides a benefit.

-- John