Re: Fw: Voltage Regulator

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, smamy@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Voltage Regulator
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 99 11:20:04 CST

>From: "Erik A Smeby" <smamy@worldnet.att.net>

>Just bought a 69 2000 from my brother in law  that I have had my eye on for
>9 years.  I am pretty new to this, but my 69 2000 needs a new voltage
>regulator (among other things).  Does anybody out there know where I could
>get a good replacement i.e. any newer Nissan parts interchange?  I am not at
>all concerned about keeping my car original (SPL 311-17272 with a U20 motor
>and 2000 badges- hey whatever, so it is not a collector car, but it is still
>a blast to drive).

Thankfully the voltage regulator is a common part to almost all the Datsun's.
Most of the regulators use a square six prong plug, and are interchangeable
from '66 to '78.

I've seen a few harnesses with a ROUND plug.

I'd recommend having the alternator and battery tested at a electrical shop.
Usually when I have gone to replace a bad component... I have discovered other
things actually causing the problem.  On a 30 year old wiring harness, something
as simple as a corroded ground wire will cause problems.  If you look on the
frame, you'll find various pigtails connecting the wires to ground. Remove
the screw, clean up the connection with some emery paper, apply a little
silicon grease (dielectric grease - NAPA has good stuff) and put the connection
back together.

Oh, there must be around 2,000 of those little connections all over the body.
Only kidding, but every time I pull a full harness it is amazing how often they
had those pig tail leads. The best one is hidden on the rear frame portion to
provide a decent ground for the tail lights.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX