air cleaner solex

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: air cleaner solex
From: Ross <datsun@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:35:52 -0800
I ran some basic tests one year going to Sahsta.  I have always doubled
my factory solex air cleaner with two filters. On one trip, because of
induction noise, I decided to run a single filter in the early solex air
cleaner assembly(thats the one that is open all the way around).  Just
outside of Roseburg, OR a turbo charge MR2 and I decided to do a
testosterone check. He managed to pass me at 125 MPH(speedo reading, not
actual speed) up a hill when I was in fourth gear. the car felt as
though it had lost some oomph. As soon as I arrived at Tom Thompson's
house the second air filter went back in.  On the way back, the MR2 and
I had another chance meeting, this time, It was the 2000 that won the
battle up the hill decisively. IMHO, an open air filtration system
provides the oxygen needed to maximize the fuel flow of a pair of
solexes.  Try breathing with your hand over your mouth when you are
sprinting, its the same, more air, more power.  M guesstimate is that I
had 6-10% more power because the flow of oxygen matched the fuel flow
much better.  the solexes were 44 with 34 chkes and totally stock
jetting out of the box from the comp dept. The exhaust system was a bone
stock factory system.
 Jim Tyler's comments are relevant and pertinent when it comes to fine
tuning and maximizing power our of a U20.  Jim hits the nail on the head
when he tells you that you need to get all the other ducks lined up
before dealing with induction air flow, but once you are there it makes
a big difference.  I just put a K&N air filter on my Dodge Turbo Diesel
and I noticed the difference immediately.  Same with the 3.5 " exhaust I
put on the truck.

Had 25 people drop in for the open house last Saturday.  Sean Kirk was
the only one with a roadster(other than Dad and his 59 TR3!!)

See ya

Ross

--
Ross Mullen
SPORTS IMPORTS - your Datsun Roadster Parts House