top speeds

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: top speeds
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:03:33 -0600
I once went 85 miles per hour in a 1958 Hillman Husky Station Wagon.  It had
the Austin A-50 engine (about 15 horsepower, I think)  What made that speed
memorable is that my Lucas electrics had died and I accepted a tow from a
rather drunk person in an Olds 88.  We put a 10 foot chain between the cars
and took off.  He must have forgotten I was behind him, and I spent about 20
minutes waiting for him to slow down.  I had no lights or horn, and since my
brakes hardly stopped the Hillman, they were useless in slowing a two ton
Olds 88.  I probably have the world record speed for Hillmans.

Roadster content:  I picked up a 1600 last week.  It's rough and I'll use it
as a parts car, but with a lot of work it could be driveable.  It has a high
windshield hardtop with round portholes if someone is interested, and all of
the drivetrain, with the engine and transmission sitting on my driveway.
There's even a working ignition key (don't know yet about the electrics).
If you'll pay expenses I'll deliver.

Leisure Suit Terry