Where are the latches?

To: "'datsun-roadsters@team.autox.net'" <datsun-roadsters@team.autox.net>
Subject: Where are the latches?
From: Andrew Murphy <andrew.murphy@integtech.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:17:29 -0800
Okay everyone,

After I bought my 67 2000, I towed it to CDM to get it running and road
legal. It has a junker hard top on it that I intend to discard and the
previous owner gave me a soft top to go with it. Well, I didn't bother to
check the top (it looked pretty bad) and when I got it to CDM, Les informed
me that it was the top from a '68. Thanks for not laughing Les!

I called the previous owner to issue a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (guys who have
had military service will understand) and he says he THINKS he has a top ,
but doesn't know if it is a 67 or if it has latches. He does not speak very
good english (He is Japanese) so I am going over to his house this weekend
to look at this top. I hope it is a 67, but more importantly I hope it has
the latches.

What is it about early latches that makes them IMPOSSIBLE to find? CDM has a
pile of 68-70 latches but no earlies. All of the parts sites list late
latches on their parts lists and I am sure if they do have any earlies, they
are kept in a locked safe guarded by lasers and and a pit bull named
"Terminator". I have looked for every parts car for sale on the web I could
find to ask the owners if they would part out the latches, but have not
heard from any of them.

So my quest for latches continues. After this weekend, I will know if I have
them or not and then I will post to the list on Monday either triumphant or
with my Oliver-Twist-asking-for-more-gruel demeanor. If anyone has a decent
set available, please let me know.

Thanks

Andrew Murphy
67 2000 Solex