New (Rebuilt) SU's/idle speed

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: New (Rebuilt) SU's/idle speed
From: "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:40:04 -0600
Well,  life is good. I fought and battled to get the original 2000 SU's to
work correctly, but the throttle shafts on the rear carb were way past gone.
Being weary from the fight, I finally broke down and purchased a set of
beautiful SU's from Scott at Z-therapy.  I received and installed them last
w/end.  Definitely an improvement as my car is now running on 4 cylinders
instead of two!

Several Questions:

1.  The car will not idle slower than 1500 RPM.  The idle adjust screws are
backed all the way out.  I unhooked the linkage and pushed the linkage to
both carbs all the way closed and still no noticeable change.  Any
thoughts??

2.  Where are the vacuum lines supposed to be run?  Currently I have the
intake vaccuum port running to the vacuum advance (distributor).  The vaccum
pod on the back of the front carb is capped.

I'm sure these two are related.  I know a gross vaccuum leak could cause the
fast idle.  I'm going to spend some time on it over the Christmas weekend as
long as it warms up a little.  This morning it was 6 degrees!  I enjoy
working on the roadster but not that much!

Hopefully I will be roadstering soon!  One challenge after another.  Too bad
each "challenge" involves $$ to overcome.  At times  I dream of Chevy's,
$300 complete rebuild kits, and readily available parts!

Thanks for all the advice

Nathan