Re: mufflers, etc. Headlights, really

To: pielr@knick.net
Subject: Re: mufflers, etc. Headlights, really
From: Mark <captainhoek@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:18:23 -0600
I think another approach might be to use the existing wiring to control a new
relay, which would provide the +12v to the headlights.  With a little care and
imagination a (nearly) stock appearance could be maintained, and this approach
would take all the heavy load off the original harness.

Mark van der Hoek
Houston TX
Former and wannabe again 2000 owner.

thorn wrote:

> Daniel,
> Where'd you get the hi-wattage lights? I love my Hellas (which are
> completely full of Halogen as opposed to most bulb replacement units), but
> higher wattage is a consideration for country driving.
>
> Remember, roadsters (and 510s) have backwards logic headlight circuits.
> Ground is switched to turn them on, the stock relay only controls hi-lo
> beam. Thats one reason why the headlight switches on roadsters tend to go
> bad. They take a good amount of current and are not sealed (to minimize
> corrosion) Thomas Walter silver solders his headlight switch
> internals...highly recomended.
>
> The headlights ALWAYS have +12v on them, each element is grounded to make
> them turn on.
>
> Of course you don't have to butcher your harness to make them positive
> switched, you can use one relay for grounding the low beams (on both sides)
> and another for grounding the high beams, fed directly off the existing
> relay switching, and connected near the lights themselves. Otherwise,
> you'll want to beef up your harness wiring. You may want to direct wire
> (with a fuse somewhere) the +12volt lead to all of them.
>
> In order to use my stock fusebox for higher current draws, I wired it for
> more current supply (with a circuit breaker to minimize the chance of
> burning up the harness and fusebox) Then any additional circuits can be
> direct tapped from the stock fusebox (mine's the 8 fuse late model) with
> outboard fuses located next to it in the glovebox.
>
> Then there's the underpowered alternator issue (stock 30 amp alternator
> really maxes out at about 24 amps in real world tests), but I think you
> went with a hi-current alty?
>
> There's still a 30 amp total limit on the ammeter that you need to be
> careful with or change. I won't go into that now in order to keep this
> message from being any longer.
>
> The big consideration is NOT to add any extra current draw to the roadster
> harness without working out where it's going to come from...from end to end.
>
> Thorn Filippelli
> Santa Rosa, California
> '70 2000 Solex
> #13575
>
>  >        In my opinon the headlight on my car sre not bright enough.  I
>  >bought a pair of 80/100W halogen H4 lights that should cure this.. I also
>  >bought 100 watt H3 bulbs for the driving lights....
>  >        I know that the stock harness/relay cannot handle this kind of
>power.
>  >I am looking for suggestions on how to wire up a high powered relay.  Is
>  >the stock unit a 'double ' relay. One circuit for high beams and one for
>low?
>  >Would I need to install two relays to replace it??  The plugs that the
>  >lights plug into on the car.. Is this a standard piece that I can buy??  I
>  >would like to not have to cut up the stock harness enough.. I was hoping
> [...]

This Message has been resent by the Knick.Net EMail Admin System.