Re: 1967 1600 Q's-rear end howl

To: brown4@cdsnet.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1967 1600 Q's-rear end howl
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:55:15 EST
In a message dated 12/29/1999 21:47:23 MST, brown4@cdsnet.net writes:

>  My question centers on the rear end.  It makes a humming
>  noise at 60 mph, but when I let up on the gas, the noise quits.  This is
>  probably the third member. Can the ring gear still be adjusted if it is
>  not badly worn, or do I need to find a new ring gear and pinion?

This is "cheating", and won't fix the inevitable, BUT, mine did that (mix-up
when I first got the car, forgot to peek at the diff fluid level- drained out
about 1 cup of *gunk* ICK) Not having the funds, or a second car available
'cause my roadster was my daily back then - I bought some Slick 50 brand
Rear-end treatment. Being in the parts field for a long time, I'm mostly
against "snake-oil" treatments, but this seemed to quiet the noise down for
several years, and hopefully kept damage from progressing any further. I
don't know if they still make this product, but I'm sure there is something
out there like it now. If you're gonna replace the r-end anyway, you might as
well milk what miles you can outta it. Then again, if you got the $$, fix it
right the first time.

Laurie :-)
SPL311
Chandler, AZ