"Mutt" is Painted!!

To: list roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: "Mutt" is Painted!!
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:53:12 -0800 (PST)
Short version:
Well, it's painted. it's ONE color now!! A
satisfactory
daily driver paint job, but not for show. It's the
same
grey color as before. I've got some
before/during/after
photo's I'll add to the WyCROC website when i get them

developed.

Long Version:
I had a heckuva time deciding how far to go with the
paint job. Decided on CHEAP: 1) I've only had it 2.5
years, so it seemed like a first class paint job$$$
was
a little premature, but it REALLY NEEDED something;
and
2) it's a 'mutt' (frame vin='68, dash vin='69) - so
it's not like I'm 'ruining' a 67.5 Solex or something.
I figure if it shines and protects the metal, that'll
work. If i still have it in 3-5 years, THEN I'll look
into a body-off kinda job (better yet, have ANOTHER
one
to restore, keep 'Mutt' for my daily driver).

  So, i prepped it myself - this being the first time
I've ever done ANY body work. I removed all the trim
and stuff (no tape lines!). Body was/is in great shape
- virtually rust free!! Only a little bondo on one
rocker and some minor surface coverage. 1 rear fender
was about 1/2 fiberglas and is holding up well. I hand
sanded - don't think i'll do that again! Had it
painted
by a friend.
  Overall, I give it a 'C' (looks great at 50'? Better

than a Maaco, plus it has a clearcoat). Maybe non-auto

enthusiasts (like my wife) would give it a 'B'. For a
daily-driver, it's good. The perfectionist in me is in

agony (that part of me wants to start over, now that I

know how my prep turned out!).. :) I was surprised at
how thin the sealcoat+paint+clearcoat was, in terms of

how much my prep (mistakes) 'showed', notably sanding
scratches. Still trying to figure out how to get all
the washers and nuts that fell inside the body panels.
:)

  My hat's off to you body/paint folk! THAT's a job!!

  I had a lot of fun doing it. What i'd really like to
do now is grab a couple of Yugo's, Pinto's, MGB's and
the like ;)  and Practice. Maybe even take a class on
it. See if I can master this stuff so that next time
it
will be Excellent!!

Many thanks to all your informative postings.

dan.

p.s. CONGRATS Calspeed on Calspeed2!! Is this your
first born-to-be-a-roadster-enthusiast? You could
always get a 3 seater 1500 for Shasta! :)

    Dan Neff '69 2000 SRL311-12866
      Colorado Springs, Colorado
http://members.xoom.com/WyCROC/home.htm
http://messenger.yahoo.com