Firm Brakes, wierd shims, and a hood that shuts

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Firm Brakes, wierd shims, and a hood that shuts
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 22:28:47 EST
Hello All,
Some of you can remember me griping about the P.O. and
his substitution of a 5/8 clutch master for the brake master
on my car, and how that led to my discovery of the Datsun
510 clutch master instead of the right one, which is why that
corner of the hood would not quite shut.
Well, finally had time today to put in the new 3/4 brake master
and the proper 5/8 clutch master, and
after calling my automatic brake/clutch bleeder
(daughter Liz this time), am very happy to report that
I finally have very nice firm brakes.  (spent about 600 on
brake parts total)   And, as yet another
surprise, with the masters out of the firewall, I wiped up the
crap collected in the nooks of the braces on the firewall
underneith and I found what has to be one of the brake
shims talked about on the list.   I put it on the bottom stud
of the brake, after thinking about the geometry of the swinging
pedal.  Is this right?
The new clutch master is also a beautiful thing, and now my
hood shuts properly.   BTW, was able to get the clutch master
at BAP-GEON for 42 dollars - the parts kid there actually
knew what a SPL-311 was, although he had never seen one,
and wanted me to drive by sometime.  Ha!  I would like to
drive the car anywhere some time (year).
Although, realistically looking good to finally
be on the road this spring!
Jim
67 pushrod 2L/5spd
Chesapeake Va