Re: Battery relocated to trunk

To: datsun-roadsters-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery relocated to trunk
From: B Strachan <bstrachan@home.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 07:53:18 -0800
Mark,

Do you have a good solid ground (10 ga wire) from the alternator ground
stud to the frame?  It's often missing, but you really need it.  I
assume you've checked all the connections and they are clean and tight.

I've had my battery (a motorcycle battery, no less) in the trunk for a
year and a half now with no problems.  I have the stock alternator.
There's no reason this setup won't work if it's done right.  There is
always the danger of a catastrophic short to ground with the long cable
from the trunk to the starter, however.  I DO NOT recommend making this
modification.

I did use 00 welding cable for both the + and - leads, bringing the -
lead from the trunk up to the starter frame.  In principle, though, I
don't see any reason the setup you describe (using the frame for the -
return rather than a separate cable) should not work.

Good luck, and be careful.  Remember that the energy stored in a regular
Group 24 battery is equivalent to several sticks of dynamite.

Barrie
'66 2000
San Diego