Roadster Down - Head Gasket Replacement

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Roadster Down - Head Gasket Replacement
From: "Ron & Julie Edgar" <rvedgar@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 22:31:29 -0500
My first post was kicked back to me but here is the heart of it along with
an update.

<Started a new job (which is great as I have been looking for 6 weeks) it
requires 20 miles one way to work on the freeway. After a 70mph run the car
started idling rough then
<blowing all the cooling water out of the system. Then we noticed steam
coming from the <exhaust.   Funny thing was when I did a compression check
it was 180 to 200 per
<cyl. ????  (last check I did was 155).    The car would idle rough but over
2000 rpm it would scream down the road??
 <It seems the water was being injected into the cyl  and improving high end
<performance by upping compression???  I pulled the valve cover and the
water, oil and
 <antifreeze had made a milky goo.   (Photos up on web site today)

The current status is the upper engine is completely apart now.  There was a
leak on cyl #4 for sure. (see photos)  Discount Auto Parts claims to have a
gasket set for $56.80 in Miami.  I will believe it when I see it.  I was not
sure of the procedure to get the water out of the engine so here is what I
did.   Drained the oil.  Degunked everything with engine degreaser.
Drained what little got inside.   Poured in a can of Marvel Mystery Oil and
a fresh can of
regular engine oil.  Cranked over the engine to pump this through the
system. (intake manifold was already off).  I will drain this tomorrow as
soon as I find an oil filter and replace with Castrol GTX 20w50.  Cylinders
have been sprayed with oil and everything is covered up for the night.

Questions for the experts:

1-  I am very short on cash.  Can I check the head for warpege with a
stainless straight edge or  do I have to pay a machine shop to check this?

2-  Rockers and push rod look OK to me?  What should I look for to determine
wear?

3-  What spec should I torque the head bolts to?..... and what pattern?

4-  Valves look good and the compression check Saturday was reading
180 to 200.  (the 200 was on #4 that was sucking in the water)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely

Ron Edgar
Ft Lauderdale Fla.