Re: electronic ignition

To: Noel Finden <finden@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 12:22:45 -0800
Noel Finden wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Slow catching up on my email.  I'm in the IT industry an other things have
> kept me busy in the last week or so.......
>
> I have been using the Pertronic on mine for a couple of years - no
> problems.  Talk to Ross at Sports Imports he has them for the Roadster.
>
> I have also used an Allison on my 510 for about 20years - no problems.
> Although I think it may be on the way out now - but who can complain about
> 20years trouble free service!

Well I sold both units for various cars for a number of years and I want
to let everyone know that the old Allison (now Crane) XR700 was the
biggest piece of crap I've ever dealt with. Failure rates were high and
despite their warranty, we seldom were able to get them to fix or
replace the bad units. The unit would work okay for a while, then fail
(car wouldn't run with the unit installed but ran fine with points or
another XR700). I would pay to send the unit back, they'd check it out
tell me it was fine and send it back to me. I'd put it in the car and
the car wouldn't run. Duhhh. It got to the point where I sent one
customer's unit back five times (at my expense) and never did get
satisfaction. I ended up building him an HEI dist (it was for an MGB).
Eventually  I had about a dozen of these "there's nothing wrong with
them but they don't work" units just piled in a box. I have had only one
Pertronix fail and I believe that was because it was hooked up wrong to
begin with.

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher