5 spd shifter questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 5 spd shifter questions
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:53:33 EST
Hello List,
My car is still up on stands, no wheels, but once a week
I start it up.  Have taken to sitting (on the floor,
no interior yet) and shifting thru the gears once or
twice.  Yea I know, 42 year old guy acting like
kid with toy....buy here is my question.
The top bolt of the shifter lever, that the shifter
slides left or right on....in there supposed to be
a spring in there to pre load the stick to one side
or the other?
When I got the car, it had a loose undersize
hardware bolt in there.  Have since put in a good
fitting  hardened monel fastener in there, which
eliminated fore and aft slop,  and cut a spring to fit
on the bolt to eliminate side to side slop, but which
side does it go on, or a small spring on either side,
or rubber bushings or what?
Or is this another case where I should just pony
up the cash and get new parts.
Tried spring on left of shifter, and works well,
except downshift to 4th results in horrible
result of trying for reverse unless you remember
to guide to left and down.  Obvious next
experiment is spring on right of stick.
Thanks for any advice!
Jim
67 pushrod 2L/5spd