sealant on gaskets

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: sealant on gaskets
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:20:51 -0600
Back in the old days some mechanics used to paint gaskets with silver spray
paint to seal them.  I did my exhaust  and intake manifold gaskets that way
and was able to use them again if I had to remove the manifold for some
reason.  I use the spray-on coppercoat now.  The silver paint and the
coppercoat keep the gaskets from bonding to the metal engine parts because
of heat and pressure.  New technology gaskets don't need the
sealant/lubricant.  Old technology gaskets on old cars will benefit from
sealant. By the way, silver paint (with actual metal bits in it) is still
available and lots cheaper than coppercoat.  It's just not as "cool".  And
you need to spray the gasket BEFORE you put on the head.  And you need to
let it dry.

Leisure Suit Terry