Re: 1969???

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: 1969???
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 12:23:48 -0800

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 100 12:30:41 -0800 (PST)

If you look at the date line from the header of your message you'll see
the year is listed as 100. This came up recently on the IZCC list too.
Below is  a good explanation from that thread, on how unix tracks time
and why the dates are weird on some machines. Seems the date
interpretation between various software and the OS can cause the sort of
problem you are experiencing.  As to why you are showing up on the date
line in the header as 19100 and as 1969 in the date column of the
message list in Netscape (and perhaps other software) is beyond me, but
since the date is not 1969 in the date line, I would say the problem is
most likely with our email software trying to interpret the year 19100
from the date line when it makes the message list. If this is only
showing up for those using Netscape for their email, then I'll bet this
is a Y2K bug in Netscape.

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher