Re: Seat Covers

To: nruffcorn@prodigy.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat Covers
From: MHarper486@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:01:59 EST
In a message dated 1/11/00 12:04:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nruffcorn@prodigy.net writes:

<<  spent several hours this morning visiting with the local seat recovering
 shops, getting estimates to re-do my 67 1600 seats.  The general consensus
 was between $300 and $350 for the pair which also included adding some
 additional padding.  The part that I liked about the custom covers was their
 ability to put a grained vinyl in the center, with a smooth vinyl around
 that edges.

 I know most of the regular suppliers have seat covers for sale also, for
 considerably less.  To those of you who have gone that route, how satisfied
 have you been?  Also,  can these be installed by a novice, with acceptable
 results?  The shops want about $100 just to install the covers.  With
 patience, can it really be that difficult?  BTW, I decided AGAINST JcWhitney
 covers.   The quality just didn't appear to be there.

Yeah, I.ve done it in my '66 which I believe has the same seats as the '67.
It was a bear of a job, but the results are fully acceptable.  It keeps the
car original, which I am a little "anal" about.  I am also a cheapskate, so I
bought some red seatcovers,  (cheap), dyed them black, bought foam pads which
I sculpted with an electric carving knife (my old foam padding was toast),
and left a little extra foam in the new pads.  The wire ties and rods that
hold the whole assembly onto the webbed seat frame, are all pretty much home
fabricated, but match the original stuff real well.  I do not want to do it
again real soon, but half the fun with this car is learning how to do this
stuff myself.  It adds greatly to my satisfaction, but also to my frustration
level.  Bottom line, is a novice can do it, but be prepared for some cussin'

Mike Harper
'66 1600 Charleston SC