Re: eratic charge

To: "David & Candy Pina" <casalp@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: eratic charge
From: "Ron & Julie Edgar" <rvedgar@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:20:51 -0500

> I need some help yu'all.  Seans 69 1600 has developed an eratic charge
> symptom, which left him with a dead battery.  The charge goes from, what
> has been normal on his car,  a top positive charge of  10 on the meter,
> to maybe 5 negative.  His car has been showing 0 when he turns on the
> lights,regardless of rpm.  Is that normal? Now it goes from 5 positve to
> negative 15. Sometimes now with nothing on but the engine it will drop
> to negative 3 maybe, and if I raise the rpm it will jump to maybe 5
> positve, hold that when back at idle for a few seconds, then go negative
> again.   What should I look for?  Also, what is the  most powerful
> alternator that came in these cars? I  have read of some conversions to
> GM single wire? How hard is it to convert to that?
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> David Pina

I Just did the alternator upgrade Monday.  I bought a single wire 65 amp
Delco Alternator from a shop here in Ft Lauderdale.  I was much larger then
the stock unit.  To my surprise it bolted right in with only a slight
misalignment (needs to shim forward).  The one wire hook up was great.  Left
the old regulator and harness right where they were.  Might need them some
day.
Works great!

Ron Edgar
Ft Lauderdale Fla.