Re: Cheap U20 timing chains ?

To: "datsun list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Cheap U20 timing chains ?
From: "nruff" <nruffcorn@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:20:15 -0600
FWIW, I was able to buy all my U20 chains, sprockets, and tensioners from
Western Auto (later Parts America and now Advance Auto Parts) for $110.00
two years ago!  The guy behind the counter was really enthusiastic and spent
two days on the phone to get them.  Even if it isn't listed in their
computer, many times they can call their suppliers for additional info.  The
parts I received were Clevite.  They installed fine, with the exception of
the crank sprocket, which was the right gearing but the shoulder was much
too long.
As many of you know, a variation of the U20 was used in the Datsun fork
truck.  It was set up for torque rather than speed and did not turn near as
many  RPM's as the SRL set up.

If all the manufacturers Stephan listed are making the correct parts, I
wouldn't hesitate to save several hundred dollars and use their products!
They are all quality manufacturers.

Nathan