Re: Cheap Timing components

To: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cheap Timing components
From: "Mike Kerr" <mikekerr@innercite.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:35:23 -0800
the parts are most likely for a L20B the motor that was used in the mid
seventies , in pickups and sedans.  the  ones making up the parts list just
look a engine size, and assume the  Nissan 2000 is a  Nissan 2000...
When buying after market , best to order the parts then , when they come in
, compare them to your old ones... if they don't mach don't buy them...
Most factory parts are made to a higher standard of quality control , than
after market, so your most likely never to get a bad part from factory
source.  the after market has no PR to worry about, but the factory has a
Name to protect so they can't sell crap...  A lot of the reboxed factory
parts are rejects that Nissan did not accept from the manufacture, for one
reason or the other.. they are then stuck with the crap and rebox it and
sell it , pennies on the dollar...that is sometimes when you by after market
parts the Nissan logo is ground off... Not that all the parts are bad , but
if in the quality control in spection too many are found to be defective
they , reject the whole lot... If you have the time , Knowledge, and
equipment to check the parts to make sure there on spec and have no flaws
then they are ok to use..... When you buy after market you may think your
getting a deal but the markup is most likly higher.. example.. Factory
timing chains retail around  140.00 make up about 30%.    After market
chains i can buy for 25 to 35 dollors  .I see them selling for 80 to 90 buck
, that is ovet 100% markup.
it is obvious that you can't make a chain as good as quality for that little
of money, if you figuer the 35.00 chain cost about half that to produce.your
getting two chains , that would mean your useing 8 dollar chains in your
U20.. motor.....

Mike Kerr
Roadster Restoration
3730 Todrob LN.