Console hook up notes, and stuff

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Console hook up notes, and stuff
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 23:01:28 EST
For all,
I have been off the list for a few weeks, and was working a
few deals and trades with list members.  If I inadvertently
deleted any correspondence, please resend.   My wife is
starting a business, and I was very busy helping set it
up, which also delayed my roadster work, so it will
be maybe May now........but I did get the center console,
which the PO removed and destroyed, re-created with
a collection of used, new and fabricated parts.  Here
are my notes on this aspect of the restoration.
- Choke cables can be rebuilt, with forceps,
a bright light, and patience.  I used Pep-Boys
12 foot push pull cable, 8.99, cut to right lengths
(dont cut the inside cable, it crosses over to both
sides)  Heat shrink some heat shrink insulation on the
bottom inch and it will be fat enough to exactly fit
in the cable ends and not come out.  I had a nearly
new cable, but the 240Z carbs have the throttle and
choke levers in the "wrong" spots, requiring a longer
than stock cable for the after carb.
-Dupl Color spray paint, number DE 1611, New Ford Gray,
is very, very close to the dash and console gray color
-Now is the time to buy a car stereo, they are changing
over to new models.  I got a Sony 40wattX4 channel
am/fm/cd for $151.   This radio will just barely fit, with
careful cutting, in the console.  The plastic outer trim
has to be shaved to clear the roadster console
chrome edges.  I bought speakers out of BEST BUYS
sample speaker cabinets for
10$ each.  Sure, they have been used sporadically
for a year.....so what.
3.5 inch Sonys went to holes I cut in the front under dash
triangle braces.  4.5 inch Jensons went into the middle pair
of holes behind the seats.  Sounds just wonderful, total cost
right at 200$
-I am running the stereo from its own 20amp ckt wired
to its own fuse, so as not to stress the original harness.
-good darn thing I took pictures, more than a year ago,
of the firewall heater valve and heater hose routing, as
that helped a lot in putting it together.

Bottom line, I have a working heater, defroster,
vents, and a pretty kick ass (by my standards) stereo
now.  I wanted to get that under dash stuff done
before I put the color coat on the car, as my feet
were all over the trunk lid, etc., as I lurched around
under the dash on my back hooking all this stuff up.......
Still having lots of fun with this, and the color coat
is next....
Jim
67 pushrod 2L 5 spd
"SAKE RCKT"