Re: The ball joints are in!

To: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Subject: Re: The ball joints are in!
From: Teddy Seidenfeld <teddy@stat.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 20:29:12 -0500
At 05:54 PM 3/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>    Everything but a couple of cotter pins and one sway bar bolt is back in
>place!  The new ball joints, tie rod, steering links and A-arm bushings, as
>well as new upper A-arm spindles curtesey of Ralph Bradley, 3 used A-arms
>from Jim Sloans and a pair of locking plates from Les.  The last three being
>emergency parts at the last minute.
>  I need to thank a bunch of people for making it happen.  Chris and Diane
>Luers for taking a weekend out of their busy lives.  Chris spent two full
>days turning a wrench.  Jim Sloan, both for his efforts at a wrench Saturday
>and then opening his barn for us to salvage 3 A-arms off his parts cars.
>Teddy Seidenfeld for spending Sunday trying to put things back together that
>he hadn't seen disassembled ( although I think he would have worked both
>days had I been able to get him a pancake and maple syrup breakfast both
>days!).  Les, for Priority Mailing two locking plates at the last minute
>after reading my notes to the list that the PO had left them off.
>  A special thanks to the wives who allowed their husbands to come over and
>play and now have some very greasy clothes to wash.
>  An the biggest thanks to Kathy, my wife, who spend all of last week
>preparing the house for weekend guests and prepared delicious food for
>everybody Saturday and Sunday.
>  I hope to get a how-to-article written before next weekend and I'll let
>the list know when & where it is posted.  For those that followed Ted & Toms
>discussion last week, the bolts were all SAE, nothing metric!  Chris and I
>decided that with out the interruption of finding the bad A-arms, the job
>would have been about 5 to 6 hours.  I think the key was the can and a half
>of penetrating oil I soaked everything in for a week before!
>  Again, thanks to every one who make this weekend possible.  I can't wait
>to finish it off, get an alignment, and break in those new ball joints!
>
>Paul
>OROC
>BTW, I did end up with a few extra parts.  Anybody need some dust seals for
>their tie rod or steering links?

Dear Paul and Kathy; Chris and Diane,

It was a fabulous Sunday for me -- thanks.  You are always good friends,
above all else.

Paul, thanks for letting me play with your toys and with your other OROC
friends.

Kathy, thanks for your endless patience, putting up with all our nonsense,
treating for that great pancake breakfast, and making the perfect lunch to
follow the work.

Chris, you're a natural teacher, besides being a first-class mechanic.  I
need to borrow your techniques, both for my classroom and for my Roadster
work.

Diane, you know best of all of us that the repairs don't happen without the
manager making certain someone under the car is still awake!

I look forward to seeing YELLOW rolling again. But Paul, please, whatever
you do after the alignment, try to keep "break" and "ball joints" in
different sentences!

As always,
Teddy
69 2000