repainting the roadster

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: repainting the roadster
From: garrett klassen <garrett@idirect.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 23:23:48 -0500
List,

OK, here goes. I'm thinking of repainting the roadster this spring. She's
in pretty good shape, fullly restored (clock works), appraised and running
every summer weekend. But there's a lot of bondo from the PO, and rust
bubbles are starting to form here and there. What put me over the top was a
careless mechanic who opened the door too far (no retainers - anybody got
some?) and took a huge ding of paint out of the door down to the bare
metal.

My question is... umm, should I? What am I in for? Budget is never a
non-issue, but I want it done right. I know prep is everything. I'm worried
that even a reputable shop can do more damage to the delicate bits without
ever thinking, or not meaning to.

Anybody have any advice on how to go about this admittedly exploratory
surgery?

garrett
67.5 1600, SPL311-15241
Toronto, Canada