[Fwd: Three seater on ebay]

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Three seater on ebay]
From: corcoran <corcoran@bainbridgeisland.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:58:28 -0800
--------------CA47FCFEC7009BF478BA4F43

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:16:49 -0800
From: corcoran <corcoran@bainbridgeisland.net>
To: sidney raper <spl310@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Three seater on ebay

Sidney,
What I mean to say is that if the gauges on a '64 1500 are connected backwards
they won't fry. When troubleshooting electrical problems I've swapped the leads
on the meter wires back and forth several times and they don't appear any worse
for it. The temp meter is just a bi-metalic lever wrapped with heater wire that
bends with increasing current which swings the needle. In other words it is a
resistive circuit that does not respond any differently when reverse polarized.
(note: '63 and '64 1500's use a unique temp sender although that is not why they
won't fry). The clock appears to be the similar "technology". I think later
(1600's?) have a similar gizmo that I think is used to stabilize instrument
power. The fuel gauge is a real meter I believe so it's not true that it's
resistive. It will peg the needle the wrong way if you reverse polarize it but
not fry. The tach and speed are mechanical. Light bulbs are also resistive
elements.
I don't know about '65 1500's, 1600's or 2000's. Most likely not.
Now I've never, ever reverse polarized the entire car! I just remember that the
battery lead that goes away from the engine towards the rear end ,is ground is,
positive, and goes to the (+)  ;-).
20+ years ago I used to try and run a negative ground cassette player by
isolating it's chassis from the car frame but sooner or later it would contact
and it was not a pretty sight. In fact I think I blew up 3 of them that way!

regards,
Tim C.
2 '64 1500 Fairladys