SoCalROC Valley to Valley Run

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: SoCalROC Valley to Valley Run
From: Andrew Murphy <andrew.murphy@integtech.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 09:20:23 -0800
"I love Bouquet Canyon!" extols Victor Laury sitting in a restaurant made
out of rocks across the street from Papa's, where SoCalROC decided to stop
for lunch on our run on Saturday, March 18th. That pretty much summed up the
drive. Vic Laury is to Roadsters what Dick Vitale is to Basketball. I always
expect Vic to just shout "Roadsters Baaaaybe"!

We had a great day and a good turn out for such short notice. Two club
members I had not met before showed up for the run. Roman Rist in his 66
1600 and Sam Loomis in his dime. A VERY nice dime at that. Greg Glass showed
up in his really nice 66, but couldn't make the run as he was playing soccer
dad. Hey, if I had a kid, he or she would come first too. The following club
members made the run:

Victor Laury in his 1970 2000
Andrew Murphy in his 1967.5 2000 Solex
Steven Felsch and his lady in his 1970 1600 conversion
Craig Carter and his lady in his 1970 2000
Gary Cohen in his 1966 1600
Roman Rist and his lady in his 1966 1600
Phil Erickson in 1969 2000 Solex
Sam Loomis and his lady in his 510

The run started off with us heading up the 405 to the Santa Claret Valley.
As is his custom, Victor Laury left all of us behind and waited for us to
catch up at Soleded Canyon Road. Once we got there, we had a very fun run up
a "twisty" until we reached Vasquez Rocks Park. This was where they filmed
the Flintstones movie. Really cool rock formations. Upon entering the park,
you have to go down a dirt road to get to the parking area. Vic decides to
have some fun in the dirt and starts fishing his rear end. He turns a corner
and there are some park rangers on horseback giving Vic the evil eye. We
parked as a group and I have some shots of us at the park which I will put
up on the SoCalROC website. Vic had his problems that day. Yes, he lost the
cap on his clutch cylinder, and I have a picture of the duct tape road
repair.

We took off and headed up the road to Acton, where I got to lead for a
while. This was part of the trip where speeds not in accordance with strict
laws were observed. I also found out that Craig Carter can drive his car
very well and very fast. Vic just drives fast. After a gas and comfort stop,
we went on the longest part of the run, where we went up Bouquet Canyon Rd.
up to Bouquet Reservoir. A REALLY fun road with a lot of twistys. Phil
Erickson showed Vic and I a thing or three about pulling out of turns. What
surprised me was Gary Cohen's 66, which led the run up to the lake, was
moving just as fast and as well as my Solex. It's easy to underestimate the
1600, but it can maneuver with the best of the 2000s on twisty roads
requiring you to live in 3rd or 4th gear.

For the most part, people were very courteous to us and pulled over with the
exception of one sedan full of kids who were staring out the window at us.
Vic's comment was "Take a picture and move over!". We then stopped to have
lunch at a well known watering hole made out of rocks that had about twenty
motorcycles park out front. I got to talk to Roman Rist a little bit and he
showed me his custom Rosewood shift handle he made. Roman is an artist and
works in wood. We talked about things roadsters and went in and had lunch.
After lunch, we continued on our way until we found the 5 and went our
separate ways.

Folks, if you missed this run, you need to do it sometime. It is a WAY fun
route with some beautiful scenery and fun turns. I had a great time and look
forward to the next one.

See you in Solvang!
Andrew Murphy 67.5 2000 Solex
SoCalROC http://www.netcom.com/~andr/Socalroc.htm