tech/ Seatbelts and other questions sorta long, but I need help.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: tech/ Seatbelts and other questions sorta long, but I need help.
From: "Erik A Smeby" <smamy@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:40:12 -0600
Howdy folks
Been a mostly silent reader for about 6 months now.  I have saved a ton of
info from the list about things I know my car needs, and things that I found
out it needs.  It needs a lot- but it does run, and looks awesome at about
20 feet.  I do have a few questions though before I start on the spring tune
up.

Front rotors:  anybody know the specs for minimum thickness before they need
replacement?

What, besides the "death rattle" would tell me if my 2l timing chain would
need a immediate replacement?  I couldn't hear anything above the roar of my
7 blade fan when it is idling.  My car is a 2L 5spd 1600 so the odometer
(which doesn't work anyway) wouldn't give any clue.

 One PO mod is something I need a bit of help with.  Threre is a button
under the dash that needs to be pushed when starting the car.  The key turns
the engine over, but it won't start unless the button us pushed.  You have
to hold the button for about 10-15 seconds after it starts, or it will die.
I think there is a wire running straight from the battery to this switch,
but I havn't spent much time looking at where it goes from there.  Any ideas
what this "fix" was for?  Or what real Datsun parts should be replaced to
eliminate it?

I have a set of very crusty original seatbelts out of my 2000 donor car.  I
would like to have the webbing replaced so I at least feel somewhat safe.
As it turns out, I can't find a upholstery shop in MN that will do the work
for me for liability reasons.  Anybody know of a shop that I could ship them
to  get the webbing replaced?  The metal parts are a bit corroded, but
nothing severe, but the fabric looks somewhat scary.  Would it be worth it
to do this?  I also could just get a set of "one size fits some" retractable
belts for about $80 each.  I have a roll bar that the shoulder harness could
be attached to.

Side note:

My father in law, a 6'7" Ford mechanic (Very entertaining watching him try
to look under the dash of my Datsuns, I am 5-9" and have no troubles) upon
seeing the parts car (no motor or tranny) said "Hmm, could fit a V-8 in
there.  Upon reading the horror stories about handling problems (and my
desire not to become one of the dreaded PO's.) I think I may try to persuade
him to find a 4 or 6cyl for this future project.

Thanks for your help.

Erik Smeby
68-9 2L 1600  (the PPO went so far to put the 2000 badges on it)