Re: Wisdom needed: 5th gear neutral

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wisdom needed: 5th gear neutral
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 00:52:09 -0700
John,
5th gear neutral can also be caused by the main [tail] shaft nut backing
off. This nut should be torqued to ~140 ft-lbs and it not properly
installed, correct thrust washer and collar thickness, and locking tab
in place it can come loose. The symtom is 5th gear neutral, problem is
5th, the 5th-reverse shift dog and reverse gear are all floating with
this nut loose. You could do some serious damage running the trans if
this assembly moves too far.  I don't recommend driving it.
Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA
68 2L DATSFUN