Re: Fork lift pistons

To: ",Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fork lift pistons
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:43:12 -0500
Phil,

Do you know anyone using the Folk Lift (H20) Pistons?

I expect they would hold up fine, but the folk lifts do not rev
over 1,500 rpm in their original application.  With the roadster
valve springs, I know folks who run the H20 engines to 7,000
rpm. Not sure if the piston can handle a turbo load.

Compression vs. PSI reading... one of my favorite trivia questions!
While you might think that 188/14.7 = C.R.   doesn't work that
way. As you compress the air, it will heat up and expand. So you
get a much higher reading than the cylinder compression would
explain.

Still 188 PSI is a good reading, but it is also common for the carbon
to build up in the piston chambers.  I explained to a friend how to remove
the carbon by "steam cleaning" the engine by  reving the engine to 3,000
rpm while pouring water into the carbs. Uh...  you know a bent rod makes
a really funny noise?

Cheers,

Tom Walter          '68 roadster -- lowest ground clearance
Austin, TX           '99 Maxima -- 3" higher
                             '84 Land Cruiser -- just crawls over roadsters.
;-)