Re: roadster

To: "311" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: roadster
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 14:14:53 -0700
>List,
>     I was wondering if any of you had any insight on the restorability
>of the Datsun 320 pickup.  A neighbor about a quarter mile away has a '64
>(according to him) 320.  I looked at it today, and am not good at
>assesing condition in non-runners.  The cab/hood/fenders look decent,
>reasonably straight, a little rust, the bed section has a fairly sound
>whack in the back.  Engine, he claims is not original, says is not the
>1200, but a 1400 he thinks.  It's very dirty and festooned with
>mud-dauber nests, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at in some cases.  It
>may be "rough" but I think better off than "basket case". He has asked
>$500.
>     Is this too rare to bother with, or too rare not to bother with? Any
>feedback would be most welcome.
>
>Marc T.
>Sisterdale TX

Hi Marc-

I think the early Datsuns are underappreciated  little gems, especially
the pickups.  Go for it!  Even if you can't 'restore' it, you could
bring it back to life and make a nice driver out of it.

I doubt any dealers are gonna carry much for those... and according
to the early model guide (www.datsuns.com ?) says there were something
like five or six hundred sold.

But - I think someone got a 321 transmission a year or so ago, so
the parts ARE out there.

I think it's too rare not to bother with... I passed on one several
years ago, and really regretted it:-(

Just MHO
Kyle