U-20 Valve Adjustment FAQ - Draft

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: U-20 Valve Adjustment FAQ - Draft
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 10:06:11 -0700
Tom Walter did a great FAQ on R-16 valve adjustment but I don't think one
has been written for the U-20.

If you haven't performed a valve adjustment on your engine yet, don't be put
off by that fact. Anyone on the list can do this. It's not that complicated.
But, Make sure you give yourself enough time to do it. pick a day when your
not going to need the car immediately. When I first did a valve adjustment,
I didn't quite have the concept of how much to tighten down on the feeler
gauge.  So my clearances where so sloppy I had to do it twice!

After the first time, you'll be much more comfortable with the procedure, So
Just Do It!

Please review and comment. Even on readability and structure. Did I leave
anything out? Is there some trick I
don't know?

The following includes contributions from Teddy Seidenfeld and Gordon
Glasgow.

Warm it up
get a 19mm (3/4'') open end and a 14mm (9/16'')
get a .3mm (.01'') and .2mm (.008'') feeler gauges. (the angled ones are
best)
On a sheet of paper, write, 1E, 1I, 2I, 2E, 3E, 3I, 4I, 4E, and tape this to
your windshield
Take a good look at what you have to remove to do this job. You what to work
fast so she doesn't cool down, so, look at the vacuum lines and other
obstructions to removing the valve cover
turn it off
work fast
I like to pull the spark plugs. It helps to make it easier to turn the
engine. Others say this isn't necessary.
put it in fifth gear
remove the valve cover
push the car till a cam lobe is pointing up. On the U-20s, two lobes will be
up at the same time. roughly at a 10 o clock - 2 o clock relationship to
each other. look across at the manifolds to see if that valves are intake or
exhaust.
you'll see the adjusting nuts on the pass side.
break the bottom locking nut with the 19mm
adjust the top adjuster with the 14mm
if exhaust adjust to .3mm. if intake = .2mm
to set, hold the top in place with the 14mm while tightening the bottom with
the 19mm.
mark the two valves you did on your sheet and  push the car to the next set
of valves. You'll be done in just three pushes.