Re: Speedo swap degree of difficulty?

To: kpearce@engr.ukans.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedo swap degree of difficulty?
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:22:11 EDT
In a message dated 6/15/00 1:48:49 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
kpearce@engr.ukans.edu writes:

> What's the degree of difficulty on swapping out a speedo on a 68-2000?
>
>   a.) 1-2 beers
>   b.) 6-pack
>   c.) 12-pack
>   d.) we should have gotten more beer

I 'spose that really depends on the brand of beer !
Actually I just went through this - on my 70 it has hand-turnable wing nuts
to hold it it. Only they weren;t -they were all corroded up. They are reached
fairly easily - and yes - skinny hands do help. They were easier to get to
than the tach. Just remember where all the lights get plugged back into.
Watch out for the trip meter cable - it's got a set-screw on the speedo-end
that's guaranteed to fall out into your eye. Also: make sure when you put it
back in that it's straight - it's possible to tighten it down cock-eyed. Good
Luck ! And oh yeah.... getting your self back out from underneath the dash
will cause quite the marvelous head-rush - save them beers for afterwards !

>  My odometer/trip-meter quit working, although the speedo still works.  I
>  have another speedo of unknown condition that I might try out if the swap
>  isn't too hairy.  Is this one of those jobs where you have to have a small

>  child around with tiny hands who also knows auto mechanics?

Thats exactly how I got my start working on cars ! Who better than a curious
8 yo to "reach up under there wouldja?" <G>

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
69 SRL311
Chandler, AZ