Re: E-Bay

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: E-Bay
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:54:58 -0700
Hi Roman,

eBay is not evil, as it has a purpose to serve for those who are desperate
to get something no matter the cost.

I think the datsun-roadster list is great for people to offer parts free to
other list members, and to help them out. But when it comes to money, no
one is going to be happy with for-sale items on the list. Offer something
at a price to the first taker, and the guy with the fastest connection and
a lot of free time is first in line every time. Everyone else loses. I've
heard of stories about guys who were first to respond, and the seller goes
back on his word and sells it for more to someone else.

I think eBay levels the playing field. Anyone gets a chance at getting the item,
if they're willing to pay the price above everyone else. And there is
arbitration and rules to regulate the process.

Those who do their homework or put out inquiries on our list can find the parts
they need. I've seen a lot of generousity on this list, where members often give
items for free or in trade for small stuff (like a six-pack of beer). The
vendors should be excused for advertising items because their prices are stable
and available to all comers, and their expertise is freely given to the list. So
my 2 cents is that yes, a seller should send a note to the list about items for
sale, but you should point them to your eBay auction. Personally, I'd rather see
this list used as a means of giving parts away to those who need them.

Fred
BADROC