Re: <OT> boss w/a pick axe- my scary day

To: <SPL311RDST@aol.com>, " roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: <OT> boss w/a pick axe- my scary day
From: Marc Tyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:54:43 -0500
>Yes, it's off-topic, but I gotta vent. Thanks to my Roadster Family for
>lending an ear (or eyeball as it would be)
>
>Up until 3:30pm yesterday I was employed by a microchip tape & reel outfit
>in
>Tempe, AZ - Back-End Technologies. Those of you in the industry may have, or
>will hear of it as they are growing rapidly w/ambitions to be a US leader in
>the field. They do a LOT of work for Motorola and other such large
>companies.
>The boss is a notoriously abusive hard-@$$. He has always been verbally
>abusive to all of his employees, and no one in the office was exempt from
>his
>attacks. For almost a full year I was able to put up wtih it. We regularly
>head such things as " I hate you all" coming over the loudspeaker, official
>announcements of "Any one who pisses me off today will have their throat
>slit", and many variations of the "women are idiots" theme. All included
>gratuitious use of the "F-word" and other such colorful language. I
>personally was told when my 7 yo little girl was very sick to "Throw the
>F***ing thing in the garbage." An unwritten part of my job description was
>"damage-control" - smoothing things over with our many vendors after they
>had
>come in contact with him.
>
>Friday was the last straw for me. Our shop is moving and between all of the
>confusion created there, and lunches of the office personnel,  the phone did
>not get answered for a whole 10 min. It was the wrong 10 min, as the boss
>called then. <shaking head> When he got back to the shop he let loose his
>fury.
>
>It all came to a head with this hair-triggered, (mentally distrurbed?) VERY
>angry guy  screaming directly at me about everything that had pissed him off
>that week - and (this is the best ie:SCARIEST part) waving a hand-held
>pick-axe type tool directly in my face. I told him to put it down several
>times, but he didn't. About then the "background" processing took over,
>and I
>was looking for a way outta the room - condsidering my options if he
>actually
>took a swing at me. I got out of the room physically unharmed, but shaken,
>and without a job. I thank the *Powers That Be* for giving Mr. LeClair the
>control to NOT slice my head open - but knowing what I do about him, it
>easily could have happened.
>
>Shaken, I left - but with enough foresight to photocopy my timecard. I have
>two witnesses that were right there in the office, but I have no idea if I
>should take this any further. Police? OSHA? ACLU? Overall,  I am just so
>glad
>to be outta there. It did give me bad dreams all last night - I hope they go
>away soon.
>
>Roadster Content: now I get to drive around town in it to find a new job.
>Thanks for the time.

> [...]

YOU MUST CALL THE POLICE IN THIS MATTER
Forgive the yelling, but right now my wife is begging me to write this.
Threatening bodily harm is against the law, so you do have recourse here.
 He should be gone, you should have a safe an pleasant job!!!!!  I
imagine you fear for your safety in this matter, I don't blame you, so in
any event it is best that the police know about this incident  for the
sake of your own safety!

Worried and concerned
Marc and Heidi Tyler