Re: Paint Job Expense

To: Michael Tarelka <mtarelka@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Paint Job Expense
From: "Robert Porter" <drrebob@usnetway.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 07:30:40 -0400
Michaelo Trealka wrote:

> I was wondering what your experience is with painting a Roadster.  How
> much did you pay and what steps did you take to insure a good job.
> Lastly, is there some Guru, with paint ability, that you would
> reccommend?
>
> My last paint experience was $39.95 in 1966.
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Michael Tarelka
> Alameda, CA

Michael:

It all depends on what you expect for a finished product (are you simply
trying to avoid embarrassment for driving a beater or are you looking to
show the car?), and how much work you're willing to do yourself.  You can
start by asking around for a reputable body shop (NOT one that advertises
the $39.95, specials!), take the car in, and get two estimates:
1)  If they do the whole shebang, which can range from $800 - $1200 on up,
depending on how much body work needs to be done; and
2) What they would charge to do the finish coat if you do most of the prep
work yourself.  If you're at all handy, and the car doesn't need serious
body work or rust repair, then you can get a book on auto refinishing, buy a
pack of assorted sandpaper, sandable primer, body putty and some bondo for
small dents, take off all the chrome, lights, insignia, and get ready to put
a lot of elbow grease into it.  You can rent a compressor and spray gun when
you need to apply the primer.  (Be sure you check with the paint shop as to
which primer(s) to use, as everything has to be compatible with the finish
coat.  Test your sprayer skills with some old sheets of cardboard, and don't
be afraid--primer is very forgiving stuff, dries fast and can be applied in
amounts ranging from small spots to the whole car.)  Once you get into it,
you will understand why a good paint job is expensive.  It's extremely time
consuming, more art than science, and if done well, the hardest part is
undetectable when completed.

Good luck

Bob (no, that's not polish on my fingernails!) Porter
Harrisburg PA