Fuel pressure.trash

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel pressure.trash
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:26:16 -0500
Hey List -

The thread of trash in the fuel has come up again - just in time!!  I was
racing an Eclipse Turbo last night and was noticing a loss of power at the
high end.  I did stay with him through 2nd  - not bad - OK, it was an older
car and smoked on acceleration.   I opened my hood and noticed that my fuel
pressure gage at 5 PSI vs. the normal 4 PSI.  I put the gage before the fuel
filter, to if I see an increase in pressure I know my filter is getting
plugged.  I worked - trash, trash, trash.  I run an electric pump by the
tank and mounted the gage on the filter housing (home made aluminum).  I
recommend putting a gage inline so you can easily see if you have a problem.
It will detect leaks, plugged filter, bad pump etc.  I bought mine at the
local speed shop for about ten bucks.  My 30 year old lines must be getting
bad - I have a filter before the electric pump, so the stuff must be from my
fuel lines.  I will take it for another spin tonight and see if the trash
removal helped.

One more thing OT.  Did Z3's come with an optional top that actually folds
down?  Out of a hundred or so sighted this summer, I think I have only seen
6 with the top down.  That option must be expensive - very few came with it!

Happy Roadstering - always topless
Phil
SEROC