A couple Questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: A couple Questions
From: jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:02:41 -0500
I have a couple questions.

With a pre-smog distributer and the timing set to 16d before TDC and the
carbs synced and set to the 1.5 turns out from the stop, it stinks of
unburnt fuel (not raw gas) and the plugs are black after a few hundred
miles.  If I lean out the mix to 1 or 1.25 turns out,  I get popping on
deceleration.  At any of the needle settings, I get the proper reaction to
lifting of the piston.  I would assume it is a needle issue so does anyone
have advice on what to do or what needles to purchase?

I did a rebuild of my 2L a couple years ago.  This is strictly a summer
driver and then only if there is no chance of rain. so I can not imagine
more than 3K miles since rebuild. I noticed some blowby with the oil filler
cap off so I did a compression test.  #1 reads 170-175 and the compression
decreases back to #4 reading about 145.  My car idles ok and has pretty
good power so it could be the tester.  If these numbers are real, what
would cause those low readings?  I replaced the rings after doing a honing
of the cylinders but I dont recall doing a comp test after putting it back
together.

Does anyone sell a replacement for the window channel that goes on the
inside of the door?  I have had mine welded and it eventually breaks again.
In the same area, how about the nylon adjustable stops that prevent the
window from going too high.

John Schmitt    Telecommuter Office # - 847-458-7829
   Internal phonemail only  -  847-240-4725      pager pin#  800-759-8888
pin 8710561