Looking for door locks - and a PO story

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Looking for door locks - and a PO story
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:07:53 -0800
Yeah! I finally have my wife's '69 2000 running! Got about a hundred
miles on it the past three days. Cold, rainy, top up and the heater sprang
a leak this morning. Some disconcerting clunks and rattles. But so far so
good. No Phil maneuvers; this one doesn't have a rollbar :-) Been
Roadsterless since July, when my 1600 started doing ominous things
(I'll get to it, before Shasta I hope!)

Came across yet ANOTHER PO trick, though (this car's full of them!)
It came without door keys. Now we'll skip over the topic of locking a
convertible-top car - I WANT to be able to lock it, even if a guy with long
fingers can just reach in and pop the knob... Anyway, the cylinders have
a number stamped on them, and the dealer (if he hasn't scrapped the key
machine) can use that number to cut a new key. So, simple task, pop the
door panel, pop the cylinder, visit the dealer.

This car has a cheap paint job sprayed over good paint. Why? Turns out,
to cover the bondo used to reshape the crunched door skins! In other words,
the doors have been apart. And I guess they lost some pieces, because
when I pulled the cylinder, IT ISN'T FROM A DATSUN! It's just for looks! It's
off a Ford or Chevy or something! No wonder the guy didn't have the keys,
the cylinders don't even hook to the linkages!

So to summarize, I'd like to find a set of real door locks for a late model.
Preferably both the same key number :-). Hopefully with the locking
clip. Ideally with a matching trunk lock too, but if I end up carrying two keys
it's no big deal.

If you've got a set, let me know what you're asking for them! TIA,

-- John