Damge Possibilities

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Damge Possibilities
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:30:14 -0800
All,

You may remember that my girlfriend Liz's 70 2000 suffered a broken rod
which showed some damage in the passenger side of the block. About a 1.5
inch diameter hole. Many people commented about how small the damage
actually appeared. Some even suggested that some of the rods might be OK and
that salvaging them would be great for the rebuild.

Well, I started the process of removing the engine. It's my first time doing
this and in a way has been a silver lining as I have learned a lot about how
these cars are put together from taking one apart. I followed the normal
procedures. I removed the battery, took off the hood, removed the radiator
components and fan assenbly. Removed the alternator.

Taking off the carbs and the intake manifold was a challenge and I can only
say that it was a good thing that my neighbor had a metric socket set with a
long extension or I would have quicly joined the "bloody knuckles" club. As
it was, I got the manifold off, removed the heat shield and looked down.

Train wreck.

Where the positive battery lead connects to what I assume is the starter was
fine. however, just beyond where the starter motor connects there is a
jagged gash where the entire manifold is completely severed. If the exhaust
header wasn't in the way I could simply pull up on the positive battery lead
and dangle the starter and the ragged piece of the manifold and swing it
around like a pendulum.

Worse the side of the block on the driver's side had a huge whole at least
4.5 to five inches in diameter and there are jagged pieces of the block and
pieces of connecting rods tossed about like a salad. Pretty horrifying.

What could have happened to cause this much destruction? It loooks as though
someone literally tore the block in half. I have never heard of anything
like this. I won't be able to take pics until I get the exhaust header off
and in deference to Victor Laury I will give fair warning that is is UGLY.

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC