RE:What kind of wheels/BADROC run.

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>,
Subject: RE:What kind of wheels/BADROC run.
From: David & Candy Pina <casalp@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 1956 19:38:39 +0000
Well ya learn sumptin new every day!  Seems to be a strong feeling that
these are EMPIs.  I was told, in '77, that mine were old style
Minilites.  Mike Young thinks they are Minilites too, I asked him what
they were when I saw them on his car. I am very sure that the other
three rims I have are Minilites, those are the ones that Panasports are
copies of. I will post pictures of my two types of rims  when I get my
car back from my first major sponsor for '01 autocross season, Miracle
Auto Paint of Redwood City.  : -) 650 369 4885. I just need a few more.
I may consider selling the EMPIs, maybe with the 225x50x14 Toyo Proxies
R1s, to replace the  fourth Minilite. I also want to pick up some
225x50x14s Hoosiers 45s. (Moderate soft) That should help it stick a
little better. When I saw Les last year, he said  EMPIs sell for
$125-150 each.
I had 4 Minilites, but one time, racing at Sears Point, I broke an axle
and spun out, or was it spun out and broke an axle? I later found out it
was the RIGHT rear axle, just inside of the bearing. Anyway, I didn't
realize my problem until I had gotten  back on the track and noticed the
car kind of had its own mind of where it wanted to go. Even then I
thought it was just a low tire. Well going along about 50, into turn 9,
just before the dogleg, Sadie suddenly veered left.  I managed to catch
it just as the LEFT rear tire dropped off the pavement, into a pothole,
and blew the tire. I did stay on the track, but what a handful, like
driving a snake!! I tried really hard to stay off the line but I was all
over the track, and almost got collected by some guy coming off 10 at
full throttle. I finally made it to the pits, the exit is just before
turn 11. The rim was really bent, and not knowing it could be
straightened, I tossed it. Oh well.
PS. My son Daniel will for sure make the BADROC event this Sunday, not
sure I can make it yet.
David Pina