Re: 1600 Weber's, Restoration & other stuff (sorta long)

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1600 Weber's, Restoration & other stuff (sorta long)
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:34:29 -0600
>It is not just the carbs that give you peak performance. It's all the
>components working in synchronization. Concentrate on the ignition system
>first. Make sure the distributor is at 100 percent peak performance. New
>spark plugs and high efficiency cables. New coil and voltage regulator. Get
>the timing right. These things are easily done by a novice. Only then
>should you tweak the carbs (a bit more difficult). Then there are other
>things like valves, etc. to adjust.

Just want to add a couple points to Fred's excellent observations. You
can pick up a pretty good performance boost by simply going to a lower
gear ratio. Instead of 3.90s, go with 4.11. Only problem you have there
is that it twists the engine higher at any given speed. To get around
that you could add a 5 speed which has a .85 to 1 fifth gear, so you 4.11
becomes effectively a 3.52, or (maybe better) a 4.38 becomes 3.7 in
fifth. You'd be wise to compare 1st and 2nd gear ratios in the two
transmissions, too, to see if you're going to wind up with a basically
useless 1st gear. I don't have real quick access to the ratio charts to
compare the 4 and 5 speed boxes, but that data shouldn't be hard to dig
up.

Going this route may well cost more than replacing the SUs with Webers or
Mikunis, but I can almost guarantee you a better running, probably
quicker and faster, car under all conditions and one you'll enjoy driving
more. Finding a good roadster 5 speed is probably not cheap these days
and I don't think a Z Car or truck 5 speed will work. Others on the list
can clarify that. changing the rear end ratio won't be cheap either, but
you might be able to find a good third member from a truck in a 4.11 or
4.38 that's usable. Some of the side bits would need to be changed as the
splines on the truck axles and the roadster axles are different sizes.
Wouldn't hurt to go with limited slip either, although this might not be
as big a deal as it would be with a 2000.

Yes, this is all a bunch of work, much of which you probably couldn't do
yourself. However, IMHO, it offers fewer headaches getting set up and
certainly would yield more enjoyable results without the heartburn
associated with modified engines. Been there, done that and the t-shirts
is in tatters!!

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)