Re: replacing rubber boots

To: "Mike/Chris Clothier" <mclothier@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: replacing rubber boots
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:22:46 -0600
Mark,

I find that using a pickle fork has a high probability of damaging the
joints.  I usually remove the nut and douse the joint with penetrating
oil and leave it as long as I have time for.  Then I get out a small (8 LB?)
hand sledge and my largest ball-peen hammer.  One each of the nuckle there
are usually 2 spots on the casting where the metal sticks out farther.  They
are usually on opposite sides of the ball joint taper.  Put the large hammer
on one of these points and pound the other one with the ball-peen and the
joint will pop apart.  I think the longest it took to break the joint open
was about 10 hits!

Make sure the car is properly supported and the spring compressor is solid,
you don't want to break any of your own joints in the process!

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885