On wheel roundness/balance.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: On wheel roundness/balance.
From: "Bill Barber" <birukun@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:07:47 -0800
The yellow dot on the tire aligns with the valve stem hole.
Do not accept anyhting less from your tire dealer (unless it is for a
dualie)

Bill Barber
SRL311-09363

<Technical Explanation>   Stop here if you need no more.

When wheels are made, they are made almost totally round and balanced. Until
you drill some metal out for those valve stems.  Then, one side of the wheel
becomes lighter.  In order to offset this, tire manufacturers have marked
their tires with a yellow dot.  The yellow dot marks the HEAVY side of the
tire, as it is very difficult to make a round and balanced tire cheaply.  If
they do not match, the tech will add mega weights to balance your wheel.
This spells trouble. The red triangle is for something else I cannot
remember off the top of my head, but the moral is YELLOW DOT TO VALVE STEM.

I just had my Subaru tires replaced on my 99 Legacy Wagon. I neglected to
check the "dots". It made highway driving a real task. Luckily, Discount
tire direct has a liberal customer service policy (They remounted all four
wheels again). Unfortunately, the guy who mounted my tires had no clue about
the dot markings.