Re: brakes

To: Taylor Collins <tyco1983@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: brakes
From: Don Miller <turbospl311@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:49:45 -0800 (PST)
For a disc brake rear easily here is what I did.
Please keep in mind that this is a race car and not a
street car and stopping is a hig priority.

I mounted a set of roadster front calipers onto the
rear of my car by using rear brake rotors from an 80
saab 900. If you are running 15" wheels then
everything fits easily. If you are running 14" wheels
then you need to machine the rotor by 3 /16 of an inch
and slot the caliper mounting hols so the slide as
close to rear axle as possible.

I made my mount out of 5/16 plate steel cutting a 2
3/4 inch hole it it. Then I cut of the bottom of the
hole and slid the bracket over the axle. then I
drilled 3 mounting holes that normally hold on the
drum backing plate and bearing seal retainer. I
drilled out the holes to hold 3/8 grade 8 bolts.

Then I assembled it all. It took 6 hours to remove the
rear housing, put it on sawhorses, mount the brakes,
put in 1/2 wheel studs, replace the old bearings and
collars (you must do this and need a press or other
techniques) and put the rear end back in. Total cost
was $100.

You do need a proportioning valve because there is
more fluid going to the back but if you mount 4 piston
Volvo calipers (bolt right on) in the front and then
reverse the lines coming off the master cylinder you
only have to adjust the pressure down by about 10%.

YMMV and all the usual disclaimers apply!

Don (car goes like stink, know I think it will
stop)Miller
68 V-6 Turbo
70 pieces and parts car
Meridian, ID