t-minus 1 day and counting

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: t-minus 1 day and counting
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:25:30 -0800
Finished fussing and futzing with the electrical system today. In NASA
terminology, that's 'performed a pre-flight check'. Got all my ground straps
in and reinstalled the dash. With the dash rheostat and ignition switch
installed, the beast looks more like a car every hour.

Lubed up the rocker arms and pushrods, then plopped on the valve cover and
gasket. Found out I only got one acorn nut back from the platers--oh well.
Carefully poured in the first quart of oil and noticed an oil leak at the
back of the cover. A light coating of Permatex on the head side and the leak
went away. She's got five quarts in her now.

Gave the cooling system a drink and not a dribble. This was starting to make
me nervous. No shoes full of anti-freeze? No spreading pool of oil under the
car? Hmmmm.

I hooked up the battery. No bright flash and smell of ozone. In went the key
and I crossed my fingers turning it to the first position. The ammeter
jumped, but no smoke! I flipped the light switch up a notch. Got parking
lights. Up one more. No headlights. Gotta check that headlight relay in the
morning. One last thing to do. I made sure the coil wire was disconnected
and turned the key full over.

REE-REE-REE-REE!!!!!!!

That's baby's first words since 1985. She cranked and didn't catch on fire.
What a day! I'm so stoked!

Ahem, I mean, this is mission control proceeding with countdown.

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=881168&a=6499541