RE: OT-Smithy 3 in 1 machines

To: "Daniel Neuman" <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: RE: OT-Smithy 3 in 1 machines
From: "Rob Robinson" <rob@t-3.cc>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:16:21 -0500
I've used the small Smithy quite a bit in the past - it's decent as a lathe
on most materials, but just about worthless as a mill unless the work is
softer than aluminum - just not sturdy enough, the whole thing would shudder
and produce a lousy, inaccurate surface. I never tried it as a drill press,
since 2 "normal" drill presses were just a couple steps away. If you need a
compact. cheap lathe made by Chinese slave labor, the Smithy is a good
choice.  ;-)

Rob Robinson
67 2000  (engineless)
Roanoke, VA