Re[2]: Alarm Install questions

To: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re[2]: Alarm Install questions
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:48:16 -0800
One of the security items I got on my roadster is the Sears Security
Battery. (Now that you know please don't try stealing my car!)

The battery supplies power for accessories when the security feature is
activated via a remote. If a thief starts the car, the engine dies in 5 seconds.
If he tries it 3 times, the battery goes into complete shutdown mode. Only by
punching in a security code on the battery can the battery be reactivated. If
you forget the code, there's a 1-800 telephone number on the battery to call
where they ask you personal questions to confirm your identity before giving you
the code.

Not many thieves carry spare batteries with them, nor do they want to hassle
with swapping them. Plus they have to figure out that the battery is causing the
engine to die and not just because the car is 35 years old!

This isn't the reason I bought the security battery. Main reason is that if you
leave accessories on with the engine off, it will automatically shut down the
battery before it loses all it's juice, guaranteeing you enough to start the
car. Leave your headlights on once and you'll see the benefits (especially in a
place where you can't push-start).

Fred - So.SF