Re: Dwell Meter

To: <Chris.Brucciani@ercgroup.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dwell Meter
From: "roadster" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:49:34 -0700
I also ask myself that question every time. How do I hook up this darn dwell
meter? And end up referring to my Chilton's Datsun Repair and Tune-up Guide
1961-1972. This is a handy book, lots of tune-up and troubleshooting tips,
as well as general maintenance for all mechanical systems.

Connect the (+) red clip of the dwell meter to the coil lead that connects
to the distributor (marked (-) on the coil). All you need to remember is
that this is the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor wire
connection that connects thru to the ignition points.

The (-) black clip of the dwell meter is connected to the (-) ground of the
car.

The book also says you can remove the distributor cap and crank the engine
with a remote starter switch to measure the point dwell angle. I usually
just start up the engine and watch the dwell meter. Book says increasing the
gap decreases the dwell angle.

Other tips from the book:
Clean the points lightly with emery cloth, lubricate the contact heel with
the appropriate grease.
Wipe out the inside of the distributor cap with a dry rag, and remove
coorosion from the rotor contact points with fine emery cloth. (Also check
for cracks or carbon tracks or burning of the rotor contacts; if found then
replace the cap.)

Fred - So.SF